Love stories have been celebrated through weddings for centuries, leaving an indelible mark on history.
From royal unions to iconic celebrity nuptials, weddings have captivated the world with their grandeur, romance, and, of course, stunning wedding cakes for as long as anyone can remember.
To celebrate the history of love stories, we’re looking back at some of the most memorable weddings from history – and of course, having a look at those all-important wedding cakes.
- Queen Victoria and Prince Albert (1840): Queen Victoria's wedding to Prince Albert set the stage for many wedding traditions we still embrace today. Their extravagant wedding cake, adorned with ornate royal icing and intricate sugar flowers, symbolized their great love and sparked the trend of tiered wedding cakes.
- Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier III (1956): The fairytale wedding of Hollywood actress Grace Kelly to Prince Rainier III of Monaco enchanted the world. Their wedding cake, a towering confection of elegance and grace, featured delicate detailing and was a true masterpiece fit for a princess.
- John F Kennedy and Jacqueline Bouvier (1953): The wedding of future president John F Kennedy and Jacqueline Bouvier was an iconic moment in American history. Their classic wedding cake, a vision of sophistication and refinement, showcased intricate piped designs and delicate floral accents.
- Prince Charles and Lady Diana (1981): The wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana remains one of the most memorable events of the 20th Their extravagant wedding cake, standing an impressive five feet tall, was adorned with intricate royal icing details and cascading flowers – as much of a showstopper as the bride’s iconic gown.
- Elvis Presley and Priscilla Beaulieu (1967): Known as "The Wedding of the Century," the union of Elvis Presley and Priscilla Beaulieu was a cultural phenomenon. Their unique wedding cake, featuring six layers of apricot and kirsch-flavoured Bavarian cream, perfectly reflected their vibrant personalities.
- Prince William and Catherine Middleton (2011): The wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton captivated the world with its modern elegance. Their cake, a stunning eight-tier masterpiece, combined traditional design elements with contemporary floral motifs, making it a true visual delight.
- Audrey Hepburn and Andrea Dotti (1969): Audrey Hepburn's wedding to Andrea Dotti was a stylish affair filled with timeless beauty. Their wedding cake, a chic and sophisticated creation, featured clean lines, minimalistic decorations, and a touch of elegance that perfectly mirrored Hepburn's iconic fashion sense.
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle (2018): The royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle was a celebration of love and inclusivity. Their lemon elderflower cake, a departure from traditional fruitcakes, showcased a modern and refreshing flavour, reflecting the couple's desire for a contemporary wedding amid the pomp of a royal event.
- Frank Sinatra and Ava Gardner (1951): The glamorous wedding of Frank Sinatra and Ava Gardner epitomized Old Hollywood romance. Their wedding cake, a lavish creation adorned with opulent sugar flowers and intricate piping, mirrored the grandeur of their love and the golden era of entertainment.
- John Lennon and Yoko Ono (1969): The wedding of John Lennon and Yoko Ono was a symbol of love, peace, and artistic expression. Instead of a traditional wedding cake, the couple opted for a "Bed-In" event where they cut into a simple yet meaningful cake decorated with messages of love and unity.
Whether or not your wedding is set to leave an enduring legacy on the world, the perfect cake will ensure your big day stays in the hearts of your family and friends for years to come. Visit the wedding cakes section of our website to find the ideal wedding cake to make your day memorable.